Do you see something that interests you? Head on over to this blog's new home at www.JustPlainJoy.com and subscribe today!

Monday, November 23, 2009

Gratitude: Part I

Last year I posted a series on Giving Thanks. As we lead up to Thanksgiving, I want to revisit this series and add a few updated comments.


This year has been especially challenging, and I feel now more than ever that I have so much for which to be thankful. To name a few not so small reasons - family, health, and my job. I am grateful to be working at an amazing university with an outstanding group of students. The students I work with are dedicated to community service and improving the lives of others. So many of them are full time students with other co-curricular activities, and they still find time to dedicate dozens of hours each quarter to homeless, youth, environmental, and social justice issues.

Not only are these students generous with their time, but they are grateful for the opportunity to serve. I have heard a fair share of complaints about Generation Y (those under 30 years old), and I feel fortunate that I get to see the potential and positive outcomes that they hold for our future. In most aspects, they face many more challenges than those who have come before them - an uninviting job market, an environment in crisis, and an uncertain economy - yet, research has shown that this generation has the highest levels of volunteerism in the past 25 years and are civic-minded and socially conscious.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I will be posting and "re-posting" (from last year's series) about gratitute for the next few days .

For more about gratitude and happiness, check out these books.

image from Stephanie

Print this post Stumble Upon Toolbar

add to kirtsy

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: